Zahed Hossain received the B.S. in Electronic and Telecommunication Engineering with the academic distinction of summa cum laude from North South University, Bangladesh in 2010. From January 2010 to August 2012, he was a Lab Instructor at the same university. He received the M.S. degree in Electrical Engineering from the University at Buffalo, The State University of New York(UB), in 2014.
Since August 2014, he is a PhD student under the guidance of Professor Josep Miquel Jornet at the University at Buffalo, The State University of New York. He has worked as Lecturer in the same department and taught Signals and Systems in the Summer of 2014-2016. He was the recipient of the Best Paper Award for ACM NanoCom in 2017. His current research interests include modulation, channel modeling, interference modeling, protocol design, performance analysis and network simulation for Terahertz-band communication networks, with applications in terabit wireless personal and local area networks, next-generation small cells, wireless nanosensor networks and the Internet of Nano-Things.
Selected Honors and Awards
- Best Paper Award, ACM 4th International Conference on Nanoscale Computing and Communications, Washington DC, 2017.
- Third place, Electrical Engineering department poster competition, University at Buffalo, The State University of New York, 2016.
- Summa Cum Laude, B.S. in Electronic and Telecommunication Engineering, 2010.
- Runner-up, inter-university Electronics Olympiad, Organized by North South University Wireless Forum, Spring 2009.
- Runner-up, inter-university Electro Quest (Electrical, Electronics and Communication), Organized by BRAC University Electrical and Electronics Club, Summer 2010.
- 75% tuition waiver, awarded during undergraduate study in North South University.
- Modulation and waveform design for Terahertz band (0.1-10 THz) communication
- Multipath channel modeling and power delay profile analysis for Terahertz band communication.
- Protocol design and performance analysis for Terahertz band communication networks, implementation in NS-3.
- Multi-user interference modeling in pulse-based nanonetworks in the THz-band(0.1-10 THz).
- THz Network Simulator in NS-3 for ultra-broad communication networks in the THz band.
- Testbed development for communication networks at true THz frequencies
- Q. Xia, Z. Hossain, M. Medley and J. M. Jornet, “Synchronization and Medium Access Control Protocol for Terahertz-band Communication Networks,” submitted for journal publication.
- Z. Hossain, C. R. Nicoletti J. F. Federici and J. M. Jornet, “Multi-user Interference Modeling and Experimental Characterization for Pulse-based Terahertz Communication,” submitted for journal publication.
- Z. Hossain,U. Habiba and M. A. Matin, “Efficient Beamforming Technique for Cognitive Radio Networks,” Journal of Advances in Information Technology, vol. 4, no. 3, pp. 111-115, August 2013.
- Habiba, Z. Hossain, and M. A. Matin, “Robust Power Control using Efficient Minimum Variance Beamforming for Cognitive Radio Networks,” Journal of Advances in Information Technology, vol. 3, no. 2, pp. 130-137, May 2012.
- Z. Hossain, C. R. Nicoletti and J. M. Jornet, “Stochastic Multipath Channel Modeling and Power Delay Profile Analysis for Terahertz-band Communication,” to appear in Proc. of ACM NANOCOM,Washington DC, USA, September 2017.
- Z. Hossain, S. H. Vedant, C. R. Nicoletti and J. F. Federici, “Multi-user Interference Modeling and Experimental Characterization for Pulse-based Terahertz Communication,” in Proc. of ACM NANOCOM, New York, NY, September 2016.
- Xia, Z. Hossain, M. Medley and J. M. Jornet, “A Link-layer Synchronization and Medium Access Control Protocol for Terahertz-band Communication Networks,” in Proc. of IEEE GLOBECOM, San Diego, CA, December 2015. [PDF]
- Z. Hossain, U. Habiba and M. A. Matin, “A New Minimum Variance Beamforming Technique for Cognitive Radio Network,” in Proc. of IEEE ICCIT, Seoul, Korea, December 2010.
- Z. Hossain, U. Habiba, and M. A. Matin, “A Robust Uplink Power Control for Cognitive Radio Networks,” in Proc. of IEEE WOCN, Colombo, Srilanka, September 2010.
- EE205: Signals and Systems, Summer 2014, Summer 2015, Summer 2016, and Summer 2017
- EE434/534: Principles of Networking, Fall 2016, Spring 2017, and Fall 2017
- EE379: Embedded Systems, Spring 2015, Spring 2016
- EE478: HDL Digital Des Prog Logic, Fall 2015
- EE310: Electronic Devices and Circuits, Fall 2013, Fall 2014
- EE200: Electrical Engineering Concepts/Non-Majors, Spring 2014
- EE353: Electronic Circuits, Spring 2013
- EE410: Electronic Instrumentation Design, Fall 2012
1) Professional Activities and Service to the Scientific Community
- Reviewer for IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology, IEEE Communication Letters, IEEE Communication Magazine, Computer Networks (Elsevier) Journal, Adhoc Networks (Elsevier) Journal.
- Reviewer for IEEE ICC 2018, ACM NanoCom 2016, IEEE BlackSeaCom 2014, IEEE WiMob 2013, IEEE MILCOM 2013
2) Departmental, School and University Service
- Presented research works to prospective undergraduate students at UB Open House, 2016-2017.